Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Forked


It has been a busy week, trundling between work, caroling gigs, rehearsals, and church singing jobs-- along with the customary flurry of last minute Christmas preparations. There hasn't been much cooking going on. This means meals out, and my choice of the week has been Whole Foods-- they have a food bar with lots of variety, and have cafeteria style trays and bowls. Fast, good, no waste.

Except for the forks. Whole Foods has re-usable bowls, but not re-usable cutlery. So there will be a plastic fork and fork wrapper on the next tally. I still haven't made or ordered a silverware to-go kit, but tossed a fork and spoon in my work bag for the time being.

Of course, that didn't help me yesterday at the annual office holiday luncheon. I totally forgot about that. Plastic everywhere. I chose virtue (well, fake virtue) and grabbed a couple cookies with a napkin. Later in the day though, I accepted a slice of cake from someone and didn't even THINK about the plastic plate until I saw it later beside the computer and gasped. How did that get there?!?? I slunk off to the kitchen, washed it and stashed it in a drawer with some other plastic-ware.

Light posting for the next few days as I travel to the midwest to see my family. Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

The Green Cat said...

At my office holiday party (which was held a mere one floor above my office) I was already enjoying my cup of wine before I realized that it was plastic and I have perfectly usable cups in my office! When I went back to the bar to ask for a soda, the bartender tried to give me a new cup. When I insisted that he use the same cup he actually argued with me. I held firm so at least I only used ONE plastic cup at the party. Still, I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to bring my own.

Anonymous said...

A similar thing happened at my holiday party, but I realized the wine cup was plastic before I drank from it, so I quickly handed it to someone else and ran to grab my glass.

We have a whole cabinet full of mugs and glasses at my office (which is where the party was held this year since we're poor) but no one wants to use them because then they'd have to (gasp!) wash them!

Gruppie Girl said...

Ahhh. Lesser of two evils. I'm always looking for that one too.

Want to let you know that I added you to my blogroll. Love your sharp writing and all of your plastic-free adventures.

Juli said...

Thanks, Gruppie Girl, and Happy New Year!