- You avoid single use plastic bags. Duh. Especially if you bring your own cloth bags.
- You pay only for food. Not packaging, not marketing. Just food
- There's no way to hide food inflation with smaller bags and boxes.
- Using bulk ingredients means you are eating unprocessed and minimally processed foods, which is tons better for you than stuff that comes in boxes and cans.
- Scrutinizing labels with unrecognizable ingredients and frequently bogus nutrition claims becomes a thing of the past.
- It saves money! Bulk food is less expensive than processed, packaged food. A lot less expensive.
- Want to eat local? Bulk bin sections often tell you where stuff was grown, and feature local products.
- Bulk food is easier to carry and store. What used to take up bags and bags, and fill up cabinets now takes up a lot less space, without all the bulky boxes, trays, packaging and air filled plastic bags.
- Your pantry will look like a page from a Crate and Barrel catalog, with all that food in pretty glass jars.
- Did I mention the lack of plastic?
Monday, March 28, 2011
Posted by Juli at 8:52 PM