Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sugar Shock


I finally got around to buying candy-coated chocolate covered peanuts from the bulk section at Fairway-- because even paper bags of M&Ms are coated with plastic on the inside.

SunSpire Peanut Sundrops: $9.49/lb.
Peanut M&Ms: about $6.72/lb.

Buying food from the bulk section is often less expensive than packaged equivalents, but not always!

Although I shouldn't be too upset with the price difference. In addition to coming without plastic, the SunSpire candies "contain no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Their bright candy color comes from beet juice, beta carotene and natural caramel. Their yummy chocolate centers are made with rich milk chocolate, sweetened with evaporated cane juice and a touch of unsulphered molasses."

I can live with that. I guess.

3 comments:

victoria_sf said...

hey! just found your blog today through FakePlasticFish. I referenced you on my blog, GreenPress. The link is here: http://bit.ly/9Y75i9

Lisa said...

We love the none nut ones. I put them in cookies and such. Yummy!

Juli said...

Thanks for the shout out, Victoria!

Lisa- yes, they were yummy. I have no self control dispatched them quickly. Gotta remember what Cookie Monster says: Cookies [and candies] are a SOMETIMES food!